It’s been nearly a month. Time is flying by at top speed,
without sign of slowing down any time soon. I’m actually honestly shocked at just how little time I have
left. I really shouldn’t go back for the spring. I ought to stay an extra term.
A year, really. It took nearly two years to whip my English into a level of
decency that felt natural and comfortable. And that was when I was younger and
left without the option of copping out and speaking another language I felt more
comfortable with. How long would it take for my Spanish to toughen up to the
level of a native speaker? 3, 4, 5 years?
Would I ever manage? The one thing for sure is that it could take far
more than a sad 9 weeks time. I’
m scared of going back. I can’t even think
about it. I like it here too much. How long before I get bored? Probably no
less than a year or so. BCN is not a small town like Hanover and there is
always something new to do. There are always people. Always people, open to
meeting others. Open to meeting me. No awkward, unspoken social constructions
like no-introductions-after-fershmen-fall. Ahh. I love Dartmouth for many
reasons, but perhaps global Dartmouth is more of a long-term home than
Hanover-Dartmouth. As beautiful and homey as it is, sometimes it is just so very painfully
small with a statistically insignificant number of single men between the ages of 22 and 30. But now I'm digressing.
Updates on some of my relatively noteworthy activity in the last 2 weeks:
- Ate at an authentic Hungarian restaurant
(“Hungaryto”) with Emma and had the most amazing trilingual conversation with
the waitress. I had the languages completely mixed and confused by the end. We
ate goulash, lángos, meggyes rétes, and red wine and a shot of apricot pálinka
to wash it all off. It was a great date!
- Tasted smexilicious dark chocolate at the Museu de la Xocolata. The entrance ticket was a bar of fine chocolate!
- Visited the Ciutadella Park and saw the Cascada,
a magnificent and all-around majestic water fountain. Then returned there on a
run. Said run was attempted in converse shoes (for lack of available sneakers)
and I must say my feet will not let me make the same decision again.
- My run also took me to a bit less touristy area
of the seaside. It was almost dark and raining when I got there, and galloped across
the sand like a maniac, into the water with my shoes on. A surfer (don’t know
what he was doing out there in such cold) was washing his feet at the shower.
He seemed highly amused by my behavior and yelled something like “¡guapa, estás
loca!” when I ran by him. It made me smile. I was so happy to be alone by the
sea. There is something special about a sea as large as the Mediterranean. How ancient and powerful it is. Static yet
always moving, always changing. Mysterious. Dark and deep. Angry or calm,
always independent. Inhospitable and unforgiving, yet crucial for the
biosphere.
- Found out that my host mom used to be a rather
famous fashion designer here in Barcelona in the 80s. And all the gorgeous,
professional paintings on our walls are actually her work. Couldn’t believe it.
- Took a weekend trip up to Andorra with Will,
Regan, and Greg. It was a very enjoyable excursion. The mountains were
breathtaking. They were so steep and so close. I could literally touch them.
Feel them. We could see how the wind at the peaks lifted the powdery snow and
swirled it around in the sun. I’m not about to forget this catalán refuge, "capital of the Pirineos," any time soon. I also bought a dark chocolate Toblerone so large that it had to travel outside my bag!
- Went to the Gran Teatre del Liceu to watch
Bellini’s Sonnámbula. It was opening night. The passions bell canto is able to
convey really are incredible in depth and variety. Perhaps I’ll go see another
performance once more in this short time I have here.
- The musicians in the underground network of the
metro never fail to put me in a good mood. Keyboard, violin, accordion, oriental
instruments, vocals. Always a pleasure. I reward them with a smile, to show
that I appreciate their work.
- This quote I came across, from Frank lloyd Wright: "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you." Good words to live by.
- Felt sufficiently inspired by my artsy surroundings to seriously began considering buying a ukulele. Here is to a new musical adventure!
 |
| The opera was full (picture courtesy of Emily) |
 |
| At the opera (also Emily's cam) |
 |
| Cascada |
 |
| guess where this is |
 |
| And this? (same place) |
 |
| Adorable choco Rocinante sculpture from the chocolate museum |
 |
| Host mom's art |
 |
| And one more pic from that one place I was telling you about |
No comments:
Post a Comment